60 Interesting Public Speaking Topics to Engage Your Audience
If you’re the type of person who gets head spinningly, palms-sweaty nervous when asked to make a public speech, you’re certainly not alone. As intimating and intimidating as it may seem, it’s true that having the ability to confidently stand in front of an audience and deliver a speech can be a super useful tool. Not only could it bring you better marks in school, it’ll also come in handy in future job applications, leadership positions, and even in everyday conversation.
Now that you’re serious about conquering public speaking, the next step is knowing what to say. We’ve got your back on this one. Here’s a list of 60 interesting public speaking topics which promise to keep your audience engaged and eager to hear what you have to say. Customize them however you please, add more information and ideas of your own, and let your ideas do the talking! Let’s get going!
Interesting Public Speaking Topics
Public speaking provides a unique opportunity for speakers to share their opinions, experiences, and knowledge in an interesting way. Interesting public speaking topics can range from controversial to informative, from historical to present day, from fun to serious. When selecting a topic, it’s important to consider the interests of your audience as well as what you can provide appropriate supporting information on.
Controversial or opinion-based topics can be engaging, but it’s important that all sides of the argument are presented fairly and no one in the audience is disparaged or excluded. Additionally, providing both sides of an argument here helps inform your audience and may even expose them to different perspectives.
Informative topics are great for teaching audiences about specific subjects or movements, while delivering the information in an entertaining and interesting way. Explain how each piece fits into the bigger picture and build suspense throughout your talk. Additionally, if you have personal stories associated with the topic, by all means include them; these stories help make your presentation more memorable and engaging for your audience.
Historical topics provide excellent fodder for a public speaking engagement; beyond teaching about specific events that occurred in our past, you can also shed light on important dates in history or major events of the past century. Providing context helps bring to life lessons from those points in time that still influence us today.
Current events are also great platforms for public speaking – highlighting what is happening now provides a powerful connection between speaker and audience as everyone is probably equally (or almost equally) knowledgeable about it—and if not? You get to teach them! When presenting current events as your topic, make sure you use up-to-date sources and highlight any compliance changes or other political matters that could affect your audience directly.
Now let’s move on to discuss current events as an interesting public speaking topic…
When it comes to public speaking, current events make for a highly engaging topics. Depending on the agenda and purpose of the speech, current events can be used either to inform and educate the audience or to galvanize support and motivate action. When dealing with current events, speakers should strive to remain impartial while bringing forth both sides of the argument.
For example, if the event is to discuss international trade policy in light of recent tariffs disputes between major trading partners, speakers should present both advantages and disadvantages of increased tariffs. Understanding the core issue at hand without commenting on the efficacy of each side’s policies is key in order to maintain an impartial outlook. Similarly, when addressing a complex social issue like discrimination against minority groups or income equality, it is important to provide a sober and nuanced overview of the issue while ensuring that all sides are properly represented.
Naturally, as certain issues become particularly salient in the public debate, more detailed analysis may be necessary in order to provide a full account of the situation. With that said, presenters must always exercise caution when discussing hot-button topics so as not to alienate any portion of their audience.
Finally, speakers may choose to conclude their discussion by proposing a plan for action or connecting their topic with wider implications for society. As such, choosing current events as one’s topic allows for an opportunity to create real change that can have tangible benefits for members of their audience. With this potential impact in mind, let us now explore creative ideas that are just as interesting but offer a different approach.
10 Current Events Topics
- COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on society, economy, and healthcare systems
- Climate change and environmental issues, including wildfires, hurricanes, and rising sea levels
- Global politics and international relations, including tensions between countries and geopolitical conflicts
- Technological advancements, such as artificial intelligence, automation, and the future of work
- Social justice movements, including Black Lives Matter and #MeToo, and their impact on society
- Mental health and wellbeing, including the effects of the pandemic on mental health and access to mental health services
- Education and the challenges of remote learning and hybrid learning models
- Immigration and refugee crises, including the global response and the impact on individuals and communities
- Economic inequality and the wealth gap, including the effects of the pandemic on job losses and income disparities
- The role of media and technology in shaping public opinion and discourse, including issues of censorship and misinformation.
Fun Public Speaking Topics
Public speaking can be an incredibly effective method of communication and expressing ideas to an audience. When selecting a topic for a public speaking event, it is important to choose one that will be engaging, exciting and entertaining. Fun public speaking topics are a great way to captivate your audience’s attention. Some fun topics popular today include conspiracy theories, humorous anecdotes and weird trivia questions.
In addition to topics that can evoke laughter, you could opt for a conversation-like approach by selecting topics tailored towards discussing or debating current events or pop culture trends. This type of discussion creates a sense of involvement amongst your listeners, as they are likely to have their own opinions on the subject matter at hand. Knowing the interests of your audience makes it easier to pick one of these types of interesting conversation starters.
Yet another type of enjoyable public speaking topic is one related to personal experience. By sharing stories from your own life you can create a connection with your audience because they realize you are not only knowledgeable about academic subjects but also about human experiences. For example, you could talk about how traveling abroad changed your perspective or how volunteer work with animals opened up new opportunities in your life. No matter what route you take, having a fun element in each speech encourages conversations, making it more engaging for the listener.
Here are 10 fun topics for public speaking:
- The science of laughter and how it can improve mental and physical health
- The history of popular board games and how they have evolved over time
- The art of cake decorating and how to create beautiful and delicious desserts
- The world of cosplay and the art of creating intricate costumes
- The benefits of travel and tips for planning the perfect vacation
- The world of online gaming and the rise of esports
- The history of memes and how they have impacted popular culture
- The art of mixology and how to make creative cocktails at home
- The joys and challenges of pet ownership and the benefits of having a furry friend
- The world of improv comedy and how to master the art of improvisation.
These fun public speaking topics spark imagination and interest from all those involved in the discussion. While brainstorming ideas, it is important to keep in mind that the topic should contain enough material to elaborate upon while maintaining a lighthearted spirit; balance is key!
Controversial Public Speaking Topics
Controversial public speaking topics can be excellent ways to engage your audience and spark a lively discussion. It is best to keep the language used respectful, as well as being mindful of the makeup of the audience you are presenting to. Popular controversial public speaking topics range from opinions about current events and politics, religion, gender roles and LGBTQ issues, amongst other things. When debating each side of the argument, it is important to make sure that one doesn’t invalidate or insult the opposing views.
Here are 10 controversial public speaking topics:
- Gun control and the right to bear arms
- Abortion and reproductive rights
- Capital punishment and the death penalty
- Immigration policy and border control
- Affirmative action and equal opportunity employment
- LGBTQ+ rights and marriage equality
- The legalization of marijuana and other drugs
- Animal rights and animal testing
- Freedom of speech and hate speech laws
- Climate change and the role of humans in causing and combating it.
No matter which topic you decide to explore, controversial public speaking topics provide a great opportunity for learning experiences. With great research beforehand, ambitious speakers can use these occasions to inform their audiences in meaningful ways.
Moving on to the next section, motivational public speaking topics have become increasingly popular within the last several years. This type of speech aims to inspire its audience by inciting positive feelings and emotions while promoting an inspiring idea or action plan.
Key Points to Remember
Controversial public speaking topics can be engaging to an audience, but the language used should remain respectful regardless of opinions held. Popular topics include current events, politics, religion, gender roles, and LGBTQ issues. When debating both sides of a controversial argument, it is important not to insult or invalidate another viewpoint. Controversial public speaking gives speakers a great opportunity to enhance learning experiences with thorough research and information.
Motivational Public Speaking Topics
Motivation is a powerful tool that can influence and inspire people to realize their potential and reach unseen levels of success. When applied effectively, motivational public speaking topics can be incredibly impactful and help an audience take action on ideas they can implement in their daily life.
The key to delivering an effective motivational talk is to focus on the idea of progress. Talk about how something good can be accomplished over time if dedication and hard work are continually applied. Present stories of real-life successes, as well as struggles, to illustrate these points and increase the audience’s engagement level. Make sure to inject positive energy into your speech by outlining strategies the audience can use to stay motivated while achieving their goals.
By presenting topics in a motivational manner, you can help ensure that members of your audience feel encouraged, empowered, and inspired. If you are debating a controversial topic, make sure to present both sides of the argument within the same motivating framework.
Here are 10 motivational public speaking topics:
- Overcoming obstacles and achieving success
- Finding purpose and meaning in life
- Building self-confidence and self-esteem
- The power of perseverance and determination
- Mindfulness and living in the present moment
- Overcoming fear and taking risks
- The importance of setting and achieving goals
- Turning setbacks into opportunities for growth
- Developing a positive mindset and attitude
- The benefits of gratitude and appreciation in life.
Keeping these important principles in mind will allow you to deliver a compelling motivational presentation that helps your audience believe in themselves and develop clear directions for taking action. Taking the right steps today will bring better results tomorrow — this is a concept worth discussing during your talk.
Historical Topics for Public Speaking
History is a rich and complex tapestry of events, ideas, and movements that have shaped the world we live in today. Exploring historical topics can help us gain a deeper understanding of our collective past, and shed light on the challenges and triumphs of human experience. From the fall of the Roman Empire to the Civil Rights Movement, there are countless historical topics that continue to fascinate and inspire us. In this list, we explore ten historical topics that offer a glimpse into the great events and movements that have shaped our world.
Here are 10 historical topics to talk about:
- The fall of the Roman Empire and its impact on European civilization
- The French Revolution and the rise of Napoleon Bonaparte
- The Industrial Revolution and its impact on society, economy, and technology
- The American Revolution and the birth of the United States of America
- The Renaissance and its impact on art, science, and culture
- The colonization of the Americas and the impact on indigenous populations
- The World Wars and their impact on global politics and international relations
- The Age of Exploration and the impact of European colonization on the world
- The Civil Rights Movement and the fight for racial equality in the United States
- The Cold War and the global tension between the United States and the Soviet Union.
Persuasive Speech Topics
Persuasive speeches are designed to convince the audience to take a particular action, adopt a certain viewpoint, or support a specific idea. These speeches can be powerful tools for effecting change and promoting important causes. From protecting the environment to advocating for social justice, persuasive speech topics cover a wide range of issues that are relevant to our world today. In this list, we explore ten persuasive speech topics that can inspire and motivate audiences to take action and make a positive impact on the world around us.
Here are 10 persuasive speech topics:
- The importance of recycling and reducing waste to protect the environment
- The benefits of meditation and mindfulness for mental health and well-being
- The need for stricter gun control laws to reduce gun violence
- The importance of early childhood education for future success
- The benefits of a plant-based diet for health and the environment
- The need to address income inequality through progressive taxation
- The importance of access to affordable healthcare for all individuals
- The need for comprehensive sex education in schools
- The benefits of renewable energy sources for a sustainable future
- The need for increased support for mental health resources and services
Public speaking is not always an easy task. Whether you are presenting a persuasive or informative speech, it can be difficult to keep your audience interested and engaged. In order to do this, it is essential to choose the appropriate public speaking topics. The fifty-plus interesting public speakings topics suggested in this article can provide plenty of inspiration and help you deliver a powerful message to your audience.
Whether you take a light-hearted approach or focus on a more serious subject matter, picking the right public speaking topics can make all the difference. Larger philosophical questions may prove intimidating and impractical as public speaking topics, while trivial conversation starters may bore your audience before they even start listening. To get the most out of your speeches, it is important to pick a topic that walks the line between engaging your listeners without making them uncomfortable or unsure of how to respond.
It is also imperative that you develop solid argumentation and presentation skills if you want to succeed in public speaking. An entertaining speech must still provide solid facts and evidence while at the same time grabbing the attention of your listeners. A good balance between interesting content and persuasive rhetoric should help make any speech successful.
Responses to Frequently Asked Questions
What are some creative public speaking topics?
Creative public speaking topics can range from the exploration of current trends, to unique takes on traditional topics.
For example, if discussing the current state of education, one could focus on the trend of more expensive tuition for higher education and dive into the implications this has for students and the job market, or discuss emergent strategies for providing greater access to educational opportunities in economically disadvantaged areas. Additionally, one could explore the current technology landscape and how it will shape future generations, or investigate developments in artificial intelligence that are redefining our understanding of what “intelligence” means.
One could also take a more artful approach to public speaking and open up a dialogue about the power of creativity in solving problems or elicit discussion around empathy as a form of communication.
Ultimately, creative public speaking topics are limited only by creative thought and provide an exciting opportunity for speakers to present inspiring ideas in entertaining ways.
What are some tips for choosing public speaking topics?
Some tips for choosing public speaking topics include:
1. Choose topics that are relevant to your audience. Make sure the topic is of interest to them and will keep their attention.
2. Research the topic thoroughly before speaking. Knowing the subject matter well will make it easier to engage your audience.
3. Select a topic that is both challenging and interesting. While choosing a subject that people might be familiar with can be safe, make sure it is still engaging and stimulating.
4. Avoid topics that are too controversial or sensitive. Refrain from such topics as they could lead to arguments or displeasing reactions amongst the audience members.
5. Expand on popular material but don’t plagiarize other speakers’ ideas. People like new concepts and appreciate hearing new information so challenge yourself to come up with something original!